During phase 3 of the utility energy service contract (UESC) process, the agency works with the utility to conduct an investment grade audit (IGA) and develops and awards the UESC task order. This course will discuss best practices for developing a scope of work for the IGA and important considerations during the IGA review process. It will also cover key elements of the task order content and the process for finalizing the task order for award.
This training is part of a sequential series of UESC offerings. The recommended order of completion is:
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Introduction Part 1 — Overview and Background;
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Introduction Part 2 — Legislation and Contracting;
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Phase 1 —Acquisition Planning;
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Phase 2 —Utility Selection and Preliminary Assessment;
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Phase 3 —Project Development;
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Phases 4 and 5 — Project Implementation and Construction, and Post-Acceptance Performance; and
- UESC On-Demand Webinar Series: Advanced Topics — Performance Assurance.
Tracy Niro, Energy Technology Program Specialist, U.S. Department of Energy Read Bio
Tracy Niro is the utility energy service contract (UESC) program manager and Federal Utility Partnership Working Group chair at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP). Tracy also manages the Renewable Energy Procurement Program and oversees utility acquisitions at DOE. Tracy was a 2009 Presidential Management Fellow and was awarded the Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Climate Change and Clean Energy to Australia in 2013. Tracy's career in energy began as a staff accountant for an investor-owned utility. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in economics from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and earned her Juris Doctor from the University of San Diego School of Law.
Karen Thomas, Program Leader, National Renewable Energy Laboratory Read Bio
Karen Thomas serves as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory lead for the U.S. Department of Energy's Federal Energy Management Program's (FEMP) utility energy services contract (UESC) team. She also provides technical support to energy efficiency and renewable energy projects for federal agencies and utilities (nationwide) to implement energy- and dollar-saving projects in federal facilities. She is the lead instructor for the FEMP UESC workshops and provides technical support to federal acquisition teams. An additional aspect of her lead role is growing the number of utilities providing UESC through strategic-partnership building with key utilities and leveraging private-sector investment (approximately $200 million annually) in federal energy projects.
Upon completion of this training, attendees will be able to:
- Identify key components of the IGA and considerations for developing the IGA scope of work for a UESC;
- Describe best practices for obtaining project financing for a UESC;
- Explain at what point in the process the agency issues a task order for design and installation;
- List the contents of the task order for a UESC; and
- Describe the resources the Federal Energy Management Program makes available to help agencies implement successful UESC projects.