This training session will discuss technological and financial alternatives to backup power provided solely by diesel generators. Subject matter experts will review the limitations of emergency diesel generators, the regulatory framework, present an analysis of technological alternatives/integration of renewable energy/fuel, and the financial metrics to consider when evaluating options. Case studies presented will highlight solutions that deliver resilience while achieving sustainability goals.
Otto Van Geet, Principal Engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Dan Olis, Research Engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Donald Jenket, Research/Resilience Engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Tom Drake, Regional Director - CHP and Resiliency, NextEra Energy
Upon completion of this session attendees will:
- Identify emergency diesel generator reliability and impact on microgrids/resilience assets;
- Recognize technological alternatives (fuel cells, linear generators, renewable fuels, renewable energy, energy storage, and microgrids);
- Identify techno-economic concepts, resilience/reliability analysis;
- Identify how to use models to solve for critical loads/available assets; and
- Recognize climate change literacy - emissions data, regulatory trends, permitting changes.