The first edition of the Guide addresses following key facility design aspects:
- Site Selection
- Architectural and Structural Considerations
- Guidelines for Equipment Operating Environments
- Airflow Design and Management
- Hot-Aisle/Cold-Aisle Rack Arrangement
- Acoustic Considerations
- Fire Detection and Suppression
- Power Distribution
- Demand Response
- Energy-Efficiency Assessment Power Usage Effectiveness and Infrastructure Efficiency
- Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning System Effectiveness
- Airflow Efficiency
- Cooling System Efficiency
DTR established a technical development committee and a review committee to advise on the Guide content. The review committee included architects, mechanical, electrical, fire protection and environmental engineers, information technology experts and facility managers.
The NIH Sustainable Data Center Design Guide can assist you with your data center design efforts by providing essential proven cost savings and energy efficient strategies that can expand with your future needs. We recommend using this guide in all new and retrofit data center facility designs. We invite you to provide us with your suggestions to improve the guide as you proceed with your facilities. In this way, we can share our experiences with other users, making this a resource that will benefit the NIH community, its grantees and perhaps many other institutions looking for a one-stop guide to data center facilities.