This publication presents the following information:
- General information on the tsunami hazard and its history;
- Guidance on determining the tsunami hazard, including the need for tsunami depth and velocity on a site-specific basis;
- Different options for vertical evacuation from tsunamis;
- Determination of tsunami and earthquake loads and structural design criteria necessary to address them; and
- Structural design concepts and other considerations.
In this third edition, revisions were made throughout the document, but particularly in the following areas:
- Expanded guidance on planning for vertical evacuation
- Additional guidance and commentary on structural design criteria contained in the new Chapter 6, “Tsunami Loads and Effects” of ASCE/SEI 7-16, Minimum Design Loads and Associated Criteria for Buildings and Other Structures (ASCE, 2016);
- Inclusion of guidance on using existing structures for vertical evacuation; and
- Operational guidance for tsunami vertical evacuation structures.