Department of Defense (DOD)
Unified Facilities Criteria Program
- Unified Facilities Guide Specifications (UFGS)
- Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) Technical Publications
- Unified Facilities Spreadsheets
- DoD Engineering and Construction Bulletins (ECB)
- DoD criteria by Agency (CCB)
- Non-Government Standards (Limited Access)
- Military Standards: ASSIST database
Comments, suggestions and recommended changes for UFGS or UFCs are welcome and should be submitted as a Criteria Change Request. To submit a Criteria Change Request, click on the CCR link next the document title on the applicable page listed above.
The Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services have initiated a program to unify all technical criteria and standards pertaining to planning, design, construction, and operation and maintenance of real property facilities. The objective of the Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) program is to streamline the military criteria system by eliminating duplication of information, increasing reliance on private-sector standards, and creating a more efficient criteria development and publishing process. Both technical publications and guide specifications are part of the UFC program. Previously, each service had its own publishing system resulting in criteria being disseminated in different formats. UFC documents have a uniform format and are identified by a number such as UFC 1-300-01.
Though unification of all DOD criteria is the ultimate goal, there are instances when a particular document may not apply to all services, or some documents may have not been fully revised to reflect all service requirements before being issued in the UFC system. In these instances, the UFC document number will be followed by an alpha-designator, such as UFC 1-300-09N. Alpha-designators are as follows:
F Air Force
UFGS in MasterFormat™ 2004 have a numeric designator at the end of the document number, for example UFGS 01 20 00.00 20. The fifth numeric pair in this numbering system identifies it as an agency-unique section. If there is no fifth pair in the UFGS number, it is a unified section, for use by all participating agencies. Numeric designators are as follows:
30 Air Force
Management of the UFC program is by an Engineering Senior Executive Panel (ESEP) comprised of the senior engineer executive from each military service and DoD. Numerous working groups with one or more technical experts from each participating military service accomplish publication development. Further information on the UFC program can be found in MIL STD 3007 (PDF 200 KB), and information on developing UFC documents is in UFC 1-300-01 and UFC 1-300-02.
In 1989, DoD adopted the Construction Criteria Base (CCB) information system as the official distribution method for facilities criteria. Individual Service Criteria are located in the CCB. Over the years, the military services were instrumental in the advancement of CCB and continue to participate in many other National Institute of Building Sciences programs. The CCB is currently evolving into the Whole Building Design Guide (WBDG) system.
The offices which administer the UFC program for the military services are the HQ, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE); Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC), Engineering Criteria and Programs Office; and the Office of the Air Force Civil Engineer Center (AFCEC). Additional information may be obtained by using the pull down menu under each of the above service logos.
Publications, Guidelines & Directives
- Office of the Under Secretary of Defense Memorandum: Department of Defense Sustainable Buildings Policy, Signatory: Dorothy Robyn, Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Installations & Environment) (10-25-10, PDF 568 KB)
- Memorandum of Army Sustainable Design and Development Policy Update - SPiRiT to LEED Transition (01-05-06, PDF 76 KB)
- Memorandum of Understanding for the Unified Facilities Guide Specifications (03-14-05, PDF 554 KB)
- Tri-Service Coordination Sheet (PDF 82 KB)
- Navy Coordination Sheets (PDF 89 KB)
- Memorandum of Agreement for the Whole Building Design Guide (10-08-03, PDF 200 KB)
- Working Groups Charter (09-23-03, PDF 57 KB)
- Memorandum on Department of Defense Unified Facilities Criteria (05-23-02, PDF 25 KB)
- Memoranum of Understanding on Unified Design Guidance (07-08-98, PDF 80 KB)
- Tri-Service Design Guidance Coordinating Panel Charter (07-08-98, PDF 97 KB)