The National Institute of Building Sciences began publishing the bi-monthly Journal of the National Institute of Building Sciences (JNIBS) in June 2013, through a relationship with Stamats Commercial Buildings Group. The Institute's previous journals — the Journal of Building Enclosure Design (JBED), Journal of Building Information Modeling (JBIM), Journal of Advanced and High-Performance Materials (JMAT) and Journal of Hazard Mitigation and Risk Assessment (JHAZ) — have been amalgamated into this new periodical.
The new JNIBS format will allow the Institute to expand coverage and highlight a number of additional program areas, including such recently established groups as the Low Vision Design Committee and the National Council of Governments on Building Codes and Standards. JNIBS will be available as an interactive online digital periodical, with searchable content and links to advertisers, reference materials and bonus photos, as well as a subscription in print form.
Our latest issue, the "Building Information Modeling Edition," which highlights the effective use of BIM in improving productivity, increasing team communication, minimizing change orders and reducing costs, includes:
- An Open BIM Approach for Design Collaboration
- Opportunities in "Lean" Energy
- Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) in Design
- Understanding the Value and Use of Level of Development (LOD)
- Global Perspectives on BIM (from Australia, the Government of the United Kingdom, Korea and the Netherlands)
Other features include:
- Integration and Collaboration Drive Achievement of High-Performance Goals
- Moving Forward to More Resilient Communities
- The Institute's 40th Anniversary 1974-2014–The Second Decade: 1984-1993
ADVERTISERS: JNIBS offers advertisers the opportunity to get their product and sales messages to JNIBS readers — representatives from all aspects of the building industry, many of whom are experts in their field. View the JNIBS Media Kit.
INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS: Have an article that would be appropriate for Journal of the National Institute of Building Sciences? Find out how to become a Contributing Author.
ARCHIVE OF PAST ISSUES: The previous journals — JBED, JBIM, JMAT and JHAZ — are still available for view on the Institute's Whole Building Design Guide. View the Archive of Past Issues.